Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Guilt

Mein Furer

In the course of all 1945, with the war virtually lost (27 January the Red Army it had freed Auschwitz), the Nazis, full of hatred and resentment, eliminated the 550 persons interned in the Berliner prison of Moabit. Albrecht Hanshofer was man who resisted the government of Nazi Germany. For doing so he was executed. His name is Albrecht Hanshofer, and he wrote this poem as he awaited execution.

GUILT

The burden of my guilt before the law
weighs light upon my shoulders; to plot
and to conspire was my duty to the people;
I would have been a criminal had I not.
I am guilty, though not the way you think,
I should have done my duty sooner, I was wrong,
I should have called evil more clearly by its name
I hesitated to condemn it for far too long.
I now accuse myself within my heart:
I have betrayed my conscience far too long
I have deceived myself and fellow man.
I knew the course of evil from the start
My warning was not loud nor clear enough!
Today I know what I was guilty of...
To those who are still quiet, to those who continue to betray their
conscience, to those who are not calling evil more clearly by its name,
to those of us who are still not doing enough to refuse and resist, I
say "come forward." I say "free your minds."
Let us, collectively, free our minds, soften our hearts, comfort the
wounded, put down our weapons, and reassert ourselves as human beings by
putting an end to war.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Hi US Guy!
Want to say 'nice blog' but 'nice' is too trite.
Valuable seems a good word, though.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Pax said...

Great poem. Timeless and especially pertiinwent these days it seems.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.