George W. Bush: Narcissist and Chief
We (the media and people of the United States) try on a daily basis to make sense of what President Bush is doing. We analyze, dissect and try to make logical predictions as to what he might do next. We try our best to make sense of it. Try as we might, there is really no making sense of his actions or behavior. I think it is time for everyone to start discussing what many people have known for quite some time. President Bush has a Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
The most powerful man on the planet is mentally ill. I am not the first to write or talk about this. I am sure that his father and mother secretly wish they had identified his problem at early age. Perhaps they just didn’t know why George Jr. was different. I know very little about mental illness and personality disorders. What I have read about narcissism seems to accurately describe George W. Bush. I have listed the widely accepted narcissistic personality aberrations below:
Diagnostic Criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, lack of empathy, as indicated by at least five of:
1. A grandiose sense of self-importance
2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
3. Believes that he or she is "special" and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
4. Requires excessive admiration
5. Has a sense of entitlement, ie unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
6. Is interpersonally exploitative, ie takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
7. Lacks empathy and is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
It doesn’t take a trained psychologist to see that our president exhibits many of the above narcissistic characteristics. So it makes absolutely no sense to try to “figure out" what President Bush is doing. We must just accept the fact that our president is “nuttier than a rodeo goat” and hope he doesn’t lay waste to the entire planet during the next two years.
Click Here for an interesting audio download on the subject.